Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 9.1 SP4a breaks Linux agent backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwilliam13

IS-IT--Management
Nov 15, 2002
US
Anyone else experience this?

I start with a fresh install of Backup Exec 9.1 on Windows 2003 SP1. Make a simple backup job to disk that backs up files on a Linux machine running the latest UNIX agent. Everything works fine.

Then I install service pack 4a for Backup Exec 9.1, reboot, come back, try to run the same job as before, and it no longer works. As soon as it starts, it fails and says something about an authentication error to the server.

When I ran it pre-sp4a, I had the Linux agent in debug mode and watched as the server connected to it and backed it up...all kinds of messages scrolling on the screen. As well, I did a netstat on the server itself and watched it make connections.

When I ran it post-sp4a, I had the Linux agent in debug mode as well, and there wasn't a connection made from the server to the Linux agent...no messages scrolling past. Likewise, when the backup is run, if you do a netstat on the server, you see no attempts of the server to access the Linux agent. The job just fails about 10 seconds later.

The Server is in the same physical subnet/vlan as the Linux machine with the agent, no firewalls running on either host. Like I said, pre-sp4a everything works fine. Load sp4a, everything stops working between the server and a Linux agent.

Any thoughts? Is this a known issue?

Check Network - Logon Accounts

Make sure there is a system logon account. This should be the account accessing the Linux servers.

Also make sure in the job the resource credential is the linux account.

I'm having similar problems, having backup issues with 10d, all Mac/Linux jobs failing.

This 'system logon account' what account/pw should this be set to? The backup server account? or the linux/mac account?

There must be a SYSTEM logon account in the Network - Logon Account. If not create it and it should be the MAC/Linux account and set as Default.
Typically root , etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back