Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 9.1 and SONY hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

NTman2000

MIS
Sep 26, 2006
GB
We have about 4 customers that are using various HP servers and Sony external Tape drives. When they put in new tapes the media is not recognised in veritas but a restart of all the veritas services will recognise that the tape is there
Any Ideas how to fix this ??

You need to run an inventory when you change tapes.

Do you mean evey time they put in a new tape they need to carry out an inventory ? that sould a little Over the top, anyway in this case we have on occasion ran the inventory nbut the tape still does not appears the only way we managed to get it to appea in the media list was to stop and start the services. Thanks for adding to this though

NTman2000 said:
Do you mean evey time they put in a new tape they need to carry out an inventory ?

Yes. Unless they have performed a LABEL or ERASE job on the tape since it was inserted (those jobs do an inventory when they run).

When the BE services startup they perform an inventory on the drive.

New, blank tapes will not be recognized by an Inventory, they must be LABELed first.

So when you put in a used tape and run an inventory on it, it won't show up untill you restart the services?

Are the drives attached the 5i or 6i array controller?

Lawnboy
Thanks I will set up a scheduled inventory on one of ocur clients to test if this fixes the situation

Steveot
Is it s Sony AIT 80GB SCSI driver version 5.0.1.1 attached to a HP Server with LSI Adaptor, Utlra320 SCSI Series, (With 1020/1030) controller and Smart Array 641 Controllers.

Any other thoughts are always appreciated.

Regards

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back