Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 8.6 All Drives Drive Pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCXoP

Technical User
Jul 14, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have been using Veritas Backup Exec 8.6 for some time now and it all seemed to be working fine.

Then our full backup jobs started going over two tapes.
We already had one internal DLT and one External.
They were both on their own cable from the same SCSI card.

We added a third tape drive, again on the same card and again having its own cable ( this card has two external ports and two internal ones for Scsi ) all these drives are terminated. Now full backups sent to the Cascaded drive pool only attempt to write to the two external drives.

IF there is only a tape in the internal drive then it picks it up and starts the backup job to it.
If there is a tape in the external drives then it starts on them, and once it has used both external drives it tries to use the first external drive again and fails due to the drive containing data from this backup set, rather than going to the internal drive and using it.

If I look in the Devices section it shows that only the internal drive shows up under the All Drives section ( which should show them all ) the other two only apear under the cascaded drive pool.

Ok I dont really know why this happens but anyone with any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Gareth

Did you add the 3rd drive to the cascaded drive pool?

Also is the 3rd drive the same as the other 2?

The drives are all the same make and type, only there is one internal one and two external ones

they are all members of the cascaded drive pool however only the internal drive shows in "All Drives"
they say a picture tells a thousand words so hopefully I have managed to link one to here to show you what I mean

veritas.jpg

So I do not know if this is even important but it seems the only drive that gets missed off when I ask for a full backup is the only drive that shows in ALL DRIVES

I suggest removing all drives from Backup Exec ie. disable first, then delete them.
Restart the BE services.
Reconfigure the cascaded drive pool.

See how you go.

I can try this

I did try reinstalling backup exec but I guess it picked up all my old settings

the only way can see to delete them is to click them in teh cascades drive pool or standalone drives and riht click delete. so I can give this a go and then reboot the server

cheers for advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back