Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Veritas 3.2 not restoring from tape correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbrow3

Technical User
Aug 10, 2001
US
I'm not sure what is causing this problem, but maybe someone here might have some insight.
I'm running Veritas 3.2 on a Solaris 2.6 server. When I attempted to do a restore from one client to another, it will not read off the tape. It will start the restore, identify the tape it needs, load that tape into the drive and according to the drive (STK9840) will rewind and start reading. Just a couple seconds later, it will unmount the tape and put it right back into the library.

Does anyone know what is causing it to load the tape, start to read and then unmount before the restore finishes? I'm not even getting a partial restore of a file system, just mounts, reads and then unmounts the tape.

All of our patch levels are up to the most current version, so I don't think that is the problem.

what error status code is it returning?
I had a problem restoring files from tape which
was related to the type of tape drive I am using.
Check out page 125 of the Troubleshooting Guide (status code 92) as well as page 55 (Configuring Nonstandard Tape Drives) of the Device Configuration Guide. I had to add the tape drive config lines for the Mammoth2 drives that I am using. This fix has resolved the errors I was receiving and I am now able to restore files w/o error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back