Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Verifying Callpilot mailbox backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty1995

IS-IT--Management
Apr 3, 2009
US
I'd like to put in place a daily backup/verification of a very important mailbox. This mailbox cannot be down during these backups/restore per my bosses. I'd like to do the following, would this work?

Since we have multiple callpilot systems in different geographical locations. First create the important mailbox on another location(same number). We will leave this mailbox after verification. I realize there is no way to get messages into the mailbox so we could consider it an orphan of sorts.
Assume: Callpilot1 - has the important mailbox
Callpilot2 - is the remote system where we will restore the mailbox.

Now comes the process:

1. Schedule user archive backup of this mailbox(or use our existing daily user archive backup) -- Callpilot1
2. Backup Callpilot2 archive backup location
3. Take that backup from Callpilot1 copy to Callpilot2 archive backup location
4. Start the restore process. It looks like the Callpilot scans the archive backup location for files, I'm guessing it will see the copied backup.
5. Restore the mailbox to the "orphaned" mailbox
6. Call into Callpilot2 for the orphaned mailbox to verify contents.

Would this work without damage to either Callpilot system?

Actually thinking about it more closely, this process could be used to consolidate callpilot systems if the need arises. Is this how you consolidate when necessary?

Thank you
w

No, this would not work - each mailbox has its own unique volume ID. This very important user needs to get over his/her self and accept the fact there will be downtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back