Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Verbatim CDRW Causes Windows XP Pro to freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronJ1227

Technical User
May 28, 2002
US
Computer is setup in a dual boot configuration with Windows 2000 Pro and Windows XP Pro. In Windows 2K the Verbatim CD-RW Drive works just fine reads any CD and burns with no problems. When I boot to XP, if there is a blank disk in the drive during boot, it will lock before getting to the login screen. If I place a CD in the drive after logging in, the system will freeze to the point that I have to cold boot the system. I have unsuccessfully searched the web for updated drivers for the drive.
Does anyone know of a website that may have Verbatim drivers for XP??
Or is there a way to disable XP from autodetecting blank CD's??
I want to be able to use the drive in XP so I can move away from the dual boot configuration.

When your system is booting, it's identifying the drives. If there is a blank CD in the drive, it's trying, in vain, to identify it. If you wait long enough, it will bomb out of that and load. Better to make sure you don't have a blank in there when you boot; your system will boot faster in general.

Just my $.02

--Greg

Is your drive compatible with XP?

314062 - The Latest Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List

315239 - Microsoft Support Policy for Hardware That Does Not Appear on the Windows HCL

What is your CD formatted file system?

330135 - The AutoRun or AutoPlay Feature Does Not Work

Autorun for CDrom not functioning...
thread779-639841

I am having a similar problem with my HP a245c. If I insert a blank cd-r or cd-rw, the system freezes after accessing the disk. If I have a blank one in the drive when booting, it will not boot as well.

I recently put in a new display card, and while I dont see any conflicts anywhere, I'm wondering if this is a possible issue?

If I put a disk in that already has things on it, it will read it just fine, and I can add other things to a cd-rw disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back