Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vector slices

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hendricus

MIS
Feb 11, 2003
NL
I'm working on a huge Illustrator file. I have drawn a grid over it and I want Illustrator to cut up the drawing according to the grid. With pathfinder/devide it seemed to work although all the fill and stroke information is lost.

Is there any way to cut up my drawing according to a grid of some sort and keep the fill and stroke of the cut up drawing?

I don't want it transformed in bitmap. I would like to remain the drawing in vector format.

Thanx,
Hendricus

That's strange, I just tried that and it seems to work (I'm using version 10). What I did was I drew an Illustration, then with the line segment tool, drew a grid over it. Select All followed by pressing the Divide button in the Pathfinder palette. Seemed to work fine. Of course, because the shapes have now been split into smaller shapes, there are more strokes than before, but that's to be expected I suppose.

Strange sh#t! But then again, I'm using AI9. The more strokes were indeed inspected but I wanted to keep the stroke and fill info. If I apply this to my drawing these are gone. What I've done now is draw a line over it with the pen tool and select the line followed by clicking object/path/slice. That seems to work just as good :)

Thanx though!
Hendricus

make sure the cut lines have no stroke of fill.

"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back