Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VDM files with Windows client for netware

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlespeechumuthu

Technical User
Dec 2, 2002
US
Hello,
We have netware 4.1 with foxpro 2.6 (dos) running. Accessing the FP from windows95/98 with client for netware (Microsoft) has a satisactory performance. Accessing from Novell client, performance degrades as more users login to the FP. We have about 30 users and after 7 or 8 connections perfromance degrades. Performance from Microsoft client does not degrade even after all 30 users login. (typically 3 secs to load the program with MS client versus about 30 secs with 7 or 8 usrers to over a minute and half with 30 users with Novell Client)

Now that we are moving to windows 2000 pro, we have the same performance issue. But this time when FP program is loaded, MS Client though does not degrade, creates VDM files in DATA directory which multiflies. ie every user logs in, 4 VDM files (with .tmp extension) are created for each previous login. First login creates no VDM files, second creates 4 files, third login creates 8 files, 4th 12 files, 5th creates 16 files and so on when 30th user login it creates 120 files. Even if some one logs out and login it creates 4 x n-1 connections (n= no of users logged in, including current users). SO files addup 4+8+12+16.. and so on.
Novell client performance is very slow (still 2-3 secs versus 45 secs) but does not create any VDM files.
Both clients create temp files (like 6 digits with tmp extension) which it cleans up when users logout, but MS client does not cleanup VDM (temp)files, only cleans up tmp files with 6 digits (ex 681345.tmp)
We can write a script to clean up VDM files at the end of the day only if we know all users are logged out.
But any one know why MS client does not clean up VDM files (normally VDM and two alphanumeric with .tmp extrension like VDM1E.tmp or VDM16.tmp), but cleans up other temp file it created ?

netware 4.1
win pro with SP3
Novell client 4.83SP2 (IPX only)

thanks
Charles

I'm working on the same problem.

It looks like this post is also

thread57-578620 also the same problem.

I thought it might be something with register memory command, but I made those changes with no success.

I tried it on 3 different Netware 4.2 servers and all have the same problem. It worked fine until their old server crapped out. The workstations stayed the same (client versions) only the server changed to faster with more memory.

Mark
cmptrnerd@core.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back