Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vCenter 5.0 to 5.5 new server install 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

stehazza

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2002
GB
Hi.. please excuse the noob question but I have a challenge that slightly exceeds my knowledge of vCenter.

We have a V5.0 install of vCenter and its not very well!! in fact its struggling to boot. We have a nice new shiny server to install vCenter5.5 on (only version we can install now!) What are the steps post install to connect to the ESX hosts and are there any gotchas i need to watch out for. I have restored the database from the old server and done the necassary with the SSL side. But how do i change the license from the old server name to the new and what affect will connecting to the host from the new vcenter server have on the environment.

Its a 3 cluster environment with 18 host all together. Will DRS or any other config be affected by pointing the hosts to the new server.

Thanks in advance.. !!

So there might be some challenges with one host in your environment running 5.5, not that it won't work but you might be a bit frustrated is all. Are you planning on upgrading the rest of your hosts to ESXi 5.5? See, the latest version of ESXi only allows its new features to be accessed via the web client. Not that it is a big deal but if you've never worked with the web client it is a bit different and will take you some time to get used to it. Not only that but you will need to update your vCenter to 5.5 or you won't be able to add it to your cluster. Have you got that far yet?

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

This is just my opinion, but unless you leverage DRS Rules, Resource Pools and/or Distributed Virtual Switches in vCenter, I find there is little reason to go through the hassle of upgrading vCenter or migrating it's database. If you don't use Resource Pools or dvSwitches, then just build a new vCenter server to simplify your migration. You can disconnect a running ESXi host from vCenter, with all of it's guests running with out any interruption in services. You can then connect the host to the new vCenter server. vCenter will see the license on the box and ask you if you want to replace it or use it, and yes, you can just use it.

The vCenter server license you can leave in eval mode (60 days) until you are ready to decommission your old vCenter server. You can then license vCenter 5.5 with your vCenter 5.x license. And if you really need to, VMWare is very good at loaning license for migration projects. Have had to make the request my self quite a few times, all you have to do is ask.

When you connect the host to the new vCenter server, you will be asked to "merge" the folders found in the VM view, or place all the VM's into a new folder named after the server. Choose merge, and the folders you had before will get recreated in vCenter. You can even get Resource Pools to move this way, but I just don't like moving them that way my self. All of the Standard vSwitch config is stored locally on the servers, so everything in your VM networking setup will move over just fine. Rinse and repeat for all your servers, rebuild your cluster objects, replicate your cluster configs, retire the old vCenter server.

Now if you do use dvSwitch, Resource Pools, or even have extensive DRS rules that would take a lot of time to replicate, then do go through the database migration process. Most important would be the dvSwitch since that config is stored on vCenter. ESXi hosts and guest machines MUST be able to communicate with vCenter to gain port assignment on a dvSwitch. When you move a host to a new vCenter, it will loose it's dvSwitch connections. While it is running, things will continue to operate just fine, but once you reboot anything (guest or host), your hosed. I went through this once, and it kinda sucked fixing. I felt doing the DB migration was faster than fixing a borked dvSwitch from a host move.

Be sure to run Update Manager and get all of your 5.0 hosts up to the current build before you attempt to connect them to a 5.5 vCenter server. There is also a new feature not in 5.0 called Single Sign On. Many things depend on it, and you have lucked out on not having to deal with the 5.1 SSO. The SSO in 5.5 is much better and easier to deal with, but be aware of it and start reading up on it to know more on it.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple[/color red] Novell Platinum Partner Microsoft Gold Partner
VMWare Enterprise Partner Citrix Gold Partner

I did the upgrade on my environment to 5.5 but I am running distributed switches and have a bunch of DRS rules, otherwise I would have done pretty much as you described. It sounds like the OP is fairly new in the virtual world and the vCenter 5.0 is already borked so installing a brand new vCenter would be the way to go for sure. Even if s/he were running distributed switches, resource pools and/or DRS rules. It is better to have a good, solid install even if it takes a bit longer.

I am also lucky in that I pointed my vCenter to a separate SQL server so if I lose it, I am not totally done.

Cheers
Rob

The answer is always "PEBKAC!

Thanks for the replies. Our 5.0 environment uses DRS rules and we do intend on introducing a new set of servers which will have 5.5 installed so we can decomm the older servers (currently 5.0 RU3) We are also looking at introducing distributed switches and redesigning our networking layout because previous tech team in their infinite wisdom put in two vswitch configs on each host but has iscsi traffic and production traffic going over the same switch config.

But all that is a little further down the line.. right now i have a need to introduce a 5.5 vCenter Server to replace the one thats now blown its own brains out.. i need to get it up and running toot sweet..My question is.. by connecting to the ESX hosts with the new vcenter server what impact (features excluded!!) can i expect from attempting it.. is there any other config i need to change and how do i transfer the license from our old server name to the new one!????

Your help is very much appreciated!!

ARIZONAGEEK.. This new server is a vCenter Server not an ESXi host.. to replace our existing broken vcenter server.

To transfer the vCenter license from an old serer to a new server, just enter in your license into the new server and turn off the old one. To have both online at the same time, just have the new one in eval mode until you are ready to turn off the old one. Your ESX hosts will care very little about the change. You will get a notice saying the host is already managed by a vCenter server when you connect, and give you the option to take control with the new vCenter server. Guest machines can stay running, you do not have to shut them down.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Brent Schmidt Senior Network Engineer
Keep IT Simple[/color red] Novell Platinum Partner Microsoft Gold Partner
VMWare Enterprise Partner Citrix Gold Partner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back