Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VC++ or DELPHI?PLASE ADVICE ME WHICH ONE TO LEARN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I´d like to learn one of those two.But which?Can you please tell me the advantages of each?What can you do with delphi that you can¨t with VC++ and what with VC++ that you can´t with delphi?If I wanted to create something like kazza or real player,which one would be better?Is there more demand for C++ or delphi programmers?I´m sorry if I seemed too demanding,but I realy am confused about this and I hope you can help me

Delphi is Visual Pascal. I know (and enjoy working with) Pascal but have never used Delphi, so I can't tell you what it can or can't do. Kylix is apparently Delphi for Linux, which I am sure will be/or is popular on that platform. As the numbers go, you will find more jobs for C/C++ programmers. You can use the Visual C++ compiler to develop games with DirectX or OpenGL, create ActiveX components -- both dll and exe, there's Win32 API, MFC, ATL, STL... the list is ongoing. I would recommend Visual C++. You should learn the basics of C and C++ first. The "Visual" part of Visual C++ is MFC. If you don't know C++ OOP, you won't be able to work with MFC.

Delphi's major strength is that it is a Rapid Application Development language for visual programs, in other words, it's very quick and easy for developing applications which use Windows dialog boxes, etc.

C++'s strengths are more suited for DirectX game graphics, server applications, or other things which are not Windows user interface related (like dialog boxes). You can get "close to the bone" if you need to, or you can use the API's (application program interfaces) and libraries like MFC (microsoft foundation class) and ATL (active template library) to make many tasks easier.

So, your choice of language depends on which types of programs (UI / DirectX / Server) you want to write.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back