Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vc++.net api like java's api 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonforce

Technical User
Dec 27, 2006
ZA
HI

Anyone know where I can download the API for vc++.net?? But Im looking for a API like java's API or is Sun the only one that puts out there API like that. Ive got the MSDN library but I would prefer one like java's API.

Thanks

/*******************************

DragonForce
-Is it wrong to be strong
*******************************/

Yes I know that, its not what I asked. I asked if there is a API like Java's. Ive got VS2005 Pro and the MSDN library. Java's API shows you what methods and functions are in a certain library; Im looking for something like that other than MSDN.

DragonForce

I am not sure what you are looking for. There are thousands of Application Programmer Interfaces for VS. If you have VS2005 Pro you have the Windows API as well as MFC and ATL. Are you just looking for documentation? Are you looking for a Java API?

If you choose to battle wits with the witless be prepared to lose.

[cheers]

I think we getting our lines crossed. Java has a html/doc package that you can view all the functions/methods, which class inherits from which class and which header file I need to include to use certain functions. I just want to be able to see what parameters some functions use and which functions I need to use for certain things. I guess the MSDN library is the only thing I can use.

DragonForce

What's wrong with MSDN? It has everything you need to know. Someone might have created their own doxygen version of MSDN somewhere, but the official source for MS documentation is the MSDN.

If you visit [URL unfurl="true"]http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/[/url] you will find a comprehensive reference of API documentation for a standard implementation of Java. I think that DragonForce is looking for Microsoft's equivalent for Visual C++. I would be inclined to look for the same information.

Maybe I'm just not as familiar with the MSDN resource, but it seems harder to get to the equivalent information. I think that the following URLs should provide the necessary information, though:

(it looks like tek-tips isn't parsing these URLs properly, so you'll have to copy and paste the entire thing instead of just clicking the link)

I think that the IDE included full version of Visual C++ includes comprehensive help which can be as useful as Sun's Java API documentation, once you get used to it.

None of this is from experience, just observation.

--
-- Ghodmode

Give a man a fish and he'll come back to buy more... Teach a man to fish and you're out of business.

> What's wrong with MSDN?

In MSDN you should know what you are looking for (function names, etc.). It is impossible to answer questions like "How to open a window?" Recently I spent half a day after I realized, that current mouse position is retrieved through GetCursorPos(), ant it is described naturally somewhere by cursors, no single link or hint from mouse related topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back