Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VC++ for an easy tool 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

roback33

Technical User
Jul 2, 2008
TW
Dear all,

I need to write a small application, which needs to listen to a COM Port (or IP adress), collect the data and translate it to AT commands and also send a data back via COM Port (or IP adress). My question is, how difficult is it and could I be able to do it. I have some experience with programming, have worked with Java few years ago and was studying Computer Science, but it all was 5-6 years ago and since then I have been working in different job.
I have 1,5 until 2 month time for it. Is it possible to do it in this short time?
BTW I planned to use Visual C++ because thats the tool what we use in our company.

What OS will it be running on?

For COM ports, if it is 95/98, you can attack the ports directly. If it is NT, 2K, XP have a look at createfile (to open), readfile (to read), writefile (to write) and closehandle (to close).

For TCP ports, you're in socket territory.

It is certainly possible - you could get it going in a matter of days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back