Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBVS which gets all user profile size on desktop and results saved in csv on server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

devlinnossiter

Technical User
Jun 26, 2012
GB
Hi Guys,

I am an absolute script n00b, so figured i would ask for some help.
We are planing on doing SCCM migration from XP to win7 on a few hundred PC's.
What we are needing though is a rough idea of how much disk space we should allow SSCM for the profile migrations.

All i need is a script that i can apply via GPO that will find the size of c:\Documents and Settings\ (All user profiles) and c:\users\(All user profiles) we do have windows Vista as well.
It should then write the report to CSV on a network share with PC Name, Profile Name and Size .

ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated. I have searched for over a week, but not found anything that will get all user profiles.

I don't envy your task. Profile migration/backup is a pain.

However, to help answer your question, I found a previous posting here which you may be able to adjust to achieve what you want:

As an alternative, your could also run/script the du utility from Sysinternals ( With the right parameters, it will return the total size of each subfolder/profile

Also as a recommendation (if you haven't done so already), I'd delete old profiles and unneeded profile data (e.g. internet cache) to reduce the size of the data to be migrated. SSCM may exclude this as part of the migration but I am unsure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back