Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vbscript software 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkennemur

Programmer
Aug 19, 2005
US
Hello,

I am going to use data access pages and put my access db online. I will be using a sql server to store my tables. I am thinking of using vbscript for web pages. Can I download this software for free? I am completely new at this so I need all the help that I can get.

what software are you talking about?

VBScript is script that is not compiled, but interpreted by the browser the end-user is using at runtime. You only need to write it into the HTML page and it will work. You don't write VBScript with software, you can use Notepad as long as you know the language well.

Neither SQL server nor Access is free, but it sounds like you already have these.

-Pete

To expand on what synperx said, and this is the important concept, you're going to be coding in the Internet Explorer environment. VBScript and JavaScript are part of the IE application. DAP's are actual WEB pages (HTML, XML) NOT Access forms. Since you're dealing with web pages, to pass data back and forth between the pages, you create and write, then read, to a cookie file on the local computer.
Look through the following site, searching on Data access page for various coding:
Also, look through:
msdn.microsoft.com\library - Then on the left, expand Office Solution Development, Microsoft Office XP, Access 2002, Technical Articles

I will suggest to go for .NET express editions.
Visual web developer & SQL server express. also Web Matrix. You can create ASP.NET pages for your web. DAP needs office components installed in the users pc.

Is all of this free? They are not going to spend any money on this.

What I have suggested are free for life if you download before the time period.
The Visual Studio 2005 Express site has been updated to offer links to the final released version of the various Express Editions.

All Visual Express Editions are 100% FREE from launch date (Nov 7 2005) till Nov 7 2006!

Here are some links to get you started:

Express Edition readme information

Previous beta uninstall instructions

Express Edition FAQ -

Download locations for each Express Edition

Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition

Visual C# 2005 Express Edition

Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition

Visual J# 2005 Express Edition

Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition

SQL Server 2005 Express Edition

ASP.NET Web Matrix