Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBscript Logging

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCtechguy

Technical User
Oct 12, 2020
US
Hello All,
I have almost completed a vbscript Active Directory login project but I have run into a snag and wanted to reach out to see if anyone had some suggestions.

I currently have a VBscript login script which does the following:

Checks the users password expiration date

If the expiration date is within 14 days, a MsgBox appears indicating that they will need to update their password, along with instructions on how to update it.

Creates an Event Log if the user bypasses the prompt and does NOT update their password.

The event log is for reporting should a supervisor for a company get upset that users are getting locked out so then we can provide a report showing that the user bypassed the warning X number of times by clicking 'No' in the message prompt.

What I need to do is count the number of times a user has clicked 'No' in the prompt. I can easily create a log file on a network share, but I want to use that as a last resort since I don't want to slow down the login process if the script has to save to a log file.

My ideal scenario is to keep a integer variable in the AD object for each user and then report on that variable when it reaches a certain number. Some of the 'hidden' attributes do not automatically update due to what I believe is a permissions issue (example: EmployeeID, EmployeeNumber) where when my script tries to apply a number to these attributes, it fail, which tells me the account credentials used when to run the login script does not have the permissions to do it. Others attributes such has 'info', I can access, but those fields are sometimes used for other things.

Was wondering if anyone had any other ideas that I am not thinking of and would be very interested in hearing them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back