Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBS Login Scripts

Status
Not open for further replies.

acl03

MIS
Jun 13, 2005
US
I currently use a VBS login script via group policy in my domain. I have a batch file as my login script, and all it does is call the VBS script. I did it that way because i remember hearing that it was the preferred way to do it.

Can I simply put the VBS script in group policy and elimintate the batch file altogether? Is there any reason to call the VBS from a dos batch file? Thanks.

The only good reason to call it from a bat file would be if you wanted a particular user to run a special script and you could then specify that in the logon script are of the users properties. Otherwise if you can manage your users in groups then use a policy attached to an OU.

Use the VBS on its own. No good reason I can see. Pinkpanther does not offer anything persuasive (or even comprehensible).

Thanks - no need to bash pinkpanther though, he was just trying to help.

People are always bashing Pink Panther but i think it was a classic. :)

Anyway i can see that my post was incomprehensible and failed to get my point accross at all. If you support any downlevel clients and your users logon to 9x and 2000+ clients then you may need to call vbs scripts from a bat file.

My appologies for my first post.

Thanks - I don't think we'll bother with 9x clients. 2000 Professional can call the VBS directly, right? I shouldn't need a BAT file if i am using 2000, i think...

I beleive 2000+ clients can call vbs scripts from the user properties tab. Q&A 7 on the above link seems to indicate that this is the case.

7. Can I use a VBScript program for a Logon script on all clients in my domain?

Yep,

Pink Panther is right, you can enter the VBscript name nito the user Tab in AD and that will call the script. I am runnig it this way in many clisnet sites and it works well.

Regards
Greg29

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back