Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA vs VB.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

RonaldWS

Technical User
Jul 23, 2007
US
I have taken some Visual basic programming classes. At work, we use Microsoft Access 2003 quite extensively. Our current programmer has used VBA to create reports, forms and other things for the end users. I will be taking over for him in August when he leaves.I am going to take some classes at the local community college but was looking for advise on what to pursue. They offer both VBA and VB.NET. I know VB.NET would serve me better in the future as it is not as limited as VBA is. If I take VB.NET, will I be able to use that knowledge and apply it in VBA? Thanks for any feedback
Ron

Good Points you guys!

I would recommend doing VBA first, as this will be in the access environment that you are familiar with. Then, the basic concepts of this will carry over and help you to learn vb.net, which you will find to be a much more powerful language (although some say it is inferior ;-) ).

If you can't get the company to pay for both, buy a beginner's vb.net book (I like the sams 'teach yourself x in 24 hours' series). This will help you adapt your skill learned in the VBA class to VB.net. Definitely worth the investment IMHO. VB.net is a valuable skill to have.

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Alex said:
learn vb.net, which you will find to be a much more powerful language (although some say it is inferior...)

What about Sea Pound? LOL!

< M!ke >
I am not a hamster and life is not a wheel.

Sea Pound? Is that where they take the stray sea-dogs?

I use VBA extensively - and would recommend you do VB.NET. My reasoning is simple - basic VBA concepts - probably most of what you need to do - is pretty simple.

More important, understand the difference between the two.

Also, learn about COM wrappers - so you can create nice .NET components for your Access app - if needed. Allows you to create and consume web services from within your Access App - as the Access Web Services Toolkit is horrendously limited and no longer supported.

Matthew Moran (career blog and podcast below)
Career Advice with Attitude for the IT Pro

I agree with mmorancbt. I'm pretty much self-taught on VBA, and it was very easy for me to learn. If you have any Basic or VB (or most other programming languages) experience, it shouldn't be too hard. VB.Net is by far the more marketable skill.

I also agree with AlexCuse about the Sam's Teach Yourself series (either 24 hours or 21 days; they offer both varieties).

Please, pretty please. Don't do VB.NET if you don't have a basic grasp of OO. The guys at the VB.NET forum go crazy if they see this ;-).

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

"My old site" - Me

I agree with Chrissie1, learn a bit about OO before moving to vb.net. Also, do you think that you can get work to pay for VB.net when it is really VBA that you will be using?

Regardless, either one will be valuable to have. Take all the classes they will pay for :)

Good Luck!

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back