Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA Training - Where to start. 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantoKing

Technical User
Nov 28, 2001
GB
Hello,

I've been asked to teach a colleague some Basic VBA in Access. I've been a developer now for 10 years so things that are easy to me probably aren't the basics.
Does anyone have any ideas of a good place to start, or can you recommend a good website that I can send him to first to get some basics (is that basics of basic? lol)

Many Thanks,

Steve.

Make things as simple as possible — but no simpler. [pc3]

If he does not wish to learn programming, just some VBA, how about giving him a task that is of use and / or of interest? Membership of a club, for example. This will help to show that VBA is just part of Access, database design and form set up are I think, more important at first.

I started with a project.

I asked myself, "Can I do THIS? HOW?"

Then I'd go find out how.

Tek-Tips was the BEST place that I found, some 10 years ago. That is when my toolbox of skills began to grow exponentially.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

There are some fundamentals like If statements, loops, operators, concatenation variable declaration you should cover... You know the BASIC fundamentals (third generation language) that predated VISUAL BASIC (fourth generation language). I learned BASIC on a Commodor 128 when manuals still told you things... Thankfully line numbers died and we now have optional labels.

Beyond that, talk about the fact that there are objects and they have properites and methods...

A good place to start may be to use some advanced wizards so the trainee can see something work and then disect it... with you as a guide and the help topic (cover online, offline, in the application vs. in the VBE window).

The combobox record find is probably a good one to look at recordsets with. I think there may be one for filters?

A long time ago, with an early version of Access, when I did not have internet, the wizards broke. I learned a great deal, very painfully.

These are all very helpful suggestions and have given me a good place to start. I've been working in VBA for so long it's been hard to remember where I started!

Many Thanks all for all your assistance, it is much appreciated!!!

Make things as simple as possible — but no simpler. [pc3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back