Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA: strange network folder name characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kraeg

Programmer
Jun 27, 2002
AU
In MS Access 97 I'm using the CurrentDb.Name property (in a Visual Basic for Applications module) that gets the database path and filename. When it displays this path it shows as this (G is a network share):
G:\F0CWXX~T\G2VNK4~T\IO228C~A
when the path is this:
G:\Fundraising\GiftAttrition\Interface

I've tried it locally, and it shows the path correctly:
C:\Docume~1\username\desktop
It also appears to work correctly on a different network share.

So for network folders more than 8 characters in length it puts in those meaningless alphanumeric characters (although the first letters of the actual folders and meaningless ones match (F, G, I).
This database was created on a client PC, and when tested on another one, it did the same thing.
However, I created a test database on this other PC and it worked (showed the correct path folders), but when this test database was tested back on the first PC it did the same thing (strange characters).
I checked the Access setups on both PCs(to see what function libraries they use) and they're almost identical.

This issue isn't a major problem, as the weird path folders seem to "map" back to the actual ones, so when creating a file on the server using the weird names works. My only concern is that users who'll be using this database may get confused.

Has anyone seen this behaviour before?

Hi,

This looks like one of the older operating systems.

Your file names and folder names are limited to 8 characters, so the op sys manager "figures out" a unique name that is 8 characters long.

So it's NOT an error.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be Advised![/red]
The band of elderly oriental musicians, known as Ground Cover, is, in reality...
Asian Jasmine![tongue][/sub]

But it works if the mdb is created on another machine (Win 98, whereas this machine is W2k, both Access 97). It also doesn't shorten the name for other network shares.
At first I thought it was a LFN to 8.3, but if that was the case shouldn't it truncate it to six characters, tilde and a number?

Seems like a LFN to 8.3 made by an NFS server.

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back