Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA Spellcheck not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

markh999

Programmer
Aug 4, 2003
GB
I have a long string (with no spaces) that I am trying to split up into legal words with one space between them. I want it fully automated so am using the attached code to spell check individual words.

However, to test this code works ok I have entered the single letters 'a' to 'z' in the first 26 rows of column A. For every row (except the letter 'i') it comes up with TRUE (indicating a correct spelling). This can't be right as only 'i' (which is showing FALSE) and 'a' (showing TRUE) I think are the only legal 1 letter words. So, what am I doing wrong ...... ?

Sub test()
Dim LR As Long, i As Long
LR = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
For i = 1 To LR
With Range("A" & i)
.Offset(, 2).Value = Application.CheckSpelling(.Value)
End With
Next i
End Sub

hi,
This can't be right as only 'i' (which is showing FALSE)
Try I rather than i.

You should get ALL TRUE with a capital I. Just do it from the sheet.

Try aa of bb instead!

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Thanks Skip

Sorry but I don't understand your answer?

Why are letters such as 'c' 'd' and 'e' coming up as true?

I also don't want it to be case sensitive - it should recognise 'I' and 'I' both as valid words?

What do you mean by aa of bb ?

[tt]
skip TRUE
skkp FALSE
aa FALSE
a TRUE
i FALSE
I TRUE
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

Letters on their own can be used as valid words:
c is the 3rd letter of the alphabet

as word has no access to context, the only time it can make a (semi) accurate guess as to if a single letter is incorrect is with i, as it is always used in upper case (with English dictionaries)

what Skip is suggesting is to use:
aa
bb
cc
dd
xx
yy
zz

I see - thank you for the clarification.

But this now gets weirder. I have just got Spellchecked 'catsatonthemat' and got FALSE (which is what I would expect!). But if I do 'catsatonthemat2' it says TRUE !!!

What is going on? I must have something set somewhere- could you try the same code on yours and let me know what it says?

Thank you for your help.

You may need to configure spelling options first in excel or via vba (for instance Application.SpellingOptions.IgnoreMixedDigits = False).

combo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back