Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA - Problems Creating new sheets inside a Excel workbook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knutjo

Programmer
Jan 15, 2002
NO
Inside an existing Excel workbook i have an existing "master" sheet. This sheet I want to copy a number of times inside the workbook.

Every time I reach 60 sheets inside my workbook I get "Subscript out of range (Error 9)".

I have made a smal macro which look like this doing the creation of all the sheets:

Sub AppendSheet()
Worksheets("ANLEGG-Utstyrstype MASTER").Copy after:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)
End Sub

Is this some (for me unknown) limitation in VBA/Excel or am I doing something wrong ?

Hi Knutjo,

I'm afraid I haven't solved the problem. However I ran the following code:

Sub AppendSheet()

For i = 1 To 100

Worksheets("ANLEGG-Utstyrstype MASTER").Copy after:=Worksheets(Worksheets.Count)

Next i

End Sub

and it worked fine, I'm using excel 97 on a win 98 platform.

So it doesn't seem to be a VBA limitation.

The only time I could replicate the error you found was if I deleted the original master sheet (or re-named it) then the code can't find 'ANLEGG-Utstyrstype MASTER' as it no longer exists.....

Hope this gives you a clue

Regards

Dan

Hi Knutjo,

My hunge is that you run into a problem with the VBA code name of your sheets. These progressively increase to a maximum of some 35 characters or so. Check the project explorer to see the code names.

HTH

ilses

I suspect ilses is correct, as when you copy a worksheet excel just appends an additionall 1 to the codename, so that you get a string on 1's and eventually they exceed excel's tolerance. A bad design flaw.

What you could do is save the Master Worksheet as Sheet.xlt in your XLStart folder, and then rather than copy the sheet, jus add a new worksheet, which should be based on the master sheet. If you already have a sheet.xlt, you could rename/copy it and then restore it when finished.

Otherwise you will need to change the codenames of the sheets as you copy them, which might be problematic.

AC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back