Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA in Excel Macro - Counting Rows w/in Sheet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkirkley

Programmer
Sep 6, 2001
US
I need to count the number of records that my sheet has in it and then populate a trailer record after the last valid record in the sheet. The issue I have is that the sheet is in a workbook that contains many sheets. I can perform a DO loop looking for a ISNULL condition to accumulate my row count but it appears that I have to reference the sheet by name or number and the macro has to be generic enough that it can be performed on any active sheet within the workbook. I was thinking that there might be some Domain Object within Excel to get the active sheets name but I can not find a reference in the help files to do that. Any suggestions from the forum?

Not quite sure what your after but:

activesheet.name returns the name or you can just refer to the activesheet.cells(x,y) or .range(address)

That is a part of what I am trying to do. Thanks!

How about

Dim lngRecords As Long
lngRecords = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Rows.Count

which returns the number of rows used in the sheet.

you might then use [A1].Offset(lngRecords,0) to get the first cell in the first blank row.

All this assumes that your sheet has no blank data.

A.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back