Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA FORUM FOR BEGINNERS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PRWEST

Technical User
Feb 9, 2005
US
I'M A FINANCE GUY WITH GOOD EXCEL BACKGROUND. I NEED HELP WITH RUDIMENTARY STUFF THAT "DUMMIES" BOOKS DOESN'T SEEM TO ADDRESS. IS THERE A FORUM FOR VBA BEGINNERS?

PRWEST,

1) Please remove the Cap Lock. Typing in UPPER CASE is akin to SHOUTING.

2) You are in the right place. Tek-Tips VBA Visual Basic for Applications (Microsoft) Forum is for "beginners" as well as others, for we are all at various stages in our journey, so to speak.

Please feel free to ask question, post code or otherwise contribute right here!

Just a Tip: try turning on your macro recorder and record some of the things that you might do repetitively. Then observe the code. This is an excellent learning tool.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses] [red]Be advised:[/red] The dyslexic, agnostic, insomniac, lays awake all night wondering...
"Is there really a DOG?" [tongue][/sub]

And use F1 (Help). Both by itself (typing in questions, or even thoughts), but also when you do some macro recording, put your cursor over words and press F1, Help will come up with a lot of stuff that way.

Oh, and just in case - the default install of Office does not install Help. So if it didn't you will need to go back and install it. However, it is definitely worth it.

As Skip said, this is the place. Try some stuff, and when you get stuck, or have specific questions, feel free to post here.

When you do, some good ground rules:

Be specific. If you have error messages, tell us what they say. "I get an error." is not good enough.

Post troubling code, pointing out the part that is either confusing, or seems to be giving you trouble. Take a look at the the "Process TGML" at the bottom of the post area. It tells you how you can add visual aids, for example, to highlight lines that are not working.

Use Option Explicit (in the Visual Basic Editor under Tools > Options > Editor tab. Check "Require Variable Declaration". In the long run, explicitly declaring variables is helpful.

And most of all...remember there are NO dumb questions. This is not a Help Desk, so we are not here to hand solutions off to people. However, if some one is clearly making effort themselves, trying to figure things out, we are collectively (at least I think so) willing to share and help out.

Good luck!

Gerry

Gerry - that pretty much sums up what (to my mind) this forum is about - would be a good starter for a FAQ on specific forum rules...

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Please read FAQ222-2244 before you ask a question

Geoff - I should go through the FAQs. I assumed there IS a FAQ covering this topic with a better voice than what I tossed in. I was just trying to be helpful.

Gerry

Not as such - there are a couple of general site FAQs but we don't have one specific to this foraum.

If you fancy knocking one up, please feel free. If not, I would be happy to do so and use your words as they echo site management very well but with a specific slant to this area of work.

Rgds, Geoff

"Three things are certain: Death, taxes and lost data. Guess which has occurred"

Cheers Gerry - let me know when it is done and I'll have a squizz !

Rgds, Geoff

Hi Geoff, Posted the FAQ about a minute ago. So after it is reviewed, it will hopefully be good enough to post up.

Thanks mikej336. I am going to put together some actual beginners tips re VBA into a different FAQ. The one I posted is mostly about using the forum itself. Great site though and I will include it in another FAQ. Thanks.

Gerry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back