Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA finding column number and add specific values in column

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 6, 2022
DE
Hello,

I have a sheet named "FinalOverview":

1_nich7k.png

another sheet called "Data". The "Data" sheet has N columns and each column has specific numerical values. Ex:
2_gsxgww.png

The user enters values such as "2020" or "2021" in the Sheet "FinalOverview" and will click a btn to trigger macro. The macro then searches for column having "2020" and then uses the corresponding row values to do some calculation such as "0.85*2000+(12-45)" and then the value needs to be put into the cell of FinalOverview below 2020 (C3)

I am fully confused as to how to extract the column ID, use it to do calculation and put it back into the cell.

Can you please guide me

Since you have mentioned VBA, you may have a better luck asking your question in forum707

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

But it seems likely that this could be done with formulas. Or a Pivot Table.

Completely agree with you on pivot and formula. I did the same but my supervisor wants it in macros for some reason and I am trying to piece together how to do it :(

Hi, and welcome to Tek-Tips.

Your DATA sheet is a nightmare for Excel to analyze. You have structured your data in a way that inexperienced users do because it seems to make sense. It is actually in a report structure rather than a data table structure. The way it is will make it difficult for Excel to analyze.

This is how Excel would rather "see" your data...

[pre]
Legend Year LegVal
Legend1 2019 1000
Legend2 2020 2000
Legend3 2021 3000
Legend1 2019 10
Legend2 2020 12
Legend3 2021 15
Legend1 2019 34
Legend2 2020 45
Legend3 2021 98
[/pre]

Make your Data table a Structured Table named tDATA
So now if you want the 2020 Legend3 value...
[tt]
=SUMPRODUCT((tDATA[Legend]="Legend3")*(tDATA[Year]=2020)*(tDATA[LegVal]))
[/tt]

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Chances are, "my supervisor wants it" to be "a nightmare for Excel to analyze" [this DATA]
So, all you can do is [banghead]

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

Yes, I have no idea why I would need a Macro when it can be done with Tables, Named References or any other way. But thanks again Andy for the snippet, I am already modifying it to meet my exact needs :)

Here's your formula, 0.85*2000+(12-45), using my table...

Assuming that the cell that the user will enter a year, has a Range Name SelectedYear then this is the formula for the calculated value:
[tt]
=0.85*SUMPRODUCT((tDATA[Legend]="Legend1")*(tDATA[Year]=SelectedYear)*(tDATA[LegVal]))+
(SUMPRODUCT((tDATA[Legend]="Legend2")*(tDATA[Year]=SelectedYear)*(tDATA[LegVal]))-
SUMPRODUCT((tDATA[Legend]="Legend3")*(tDATA[Year]=SelectedYear)*(tDATA[LegVal])))
[/tt]

BTW, I'd suggest adding a worksheet, I call mine Factors and on that sheet list the years or better yet, query the DATA sheet using...
[pre]
SELECT DISTINCT YEAR
FROM [DATA$]
[/pre]

Then, use this list in a Data/Validation/List Source, in-cell drop down, for the user to Select the desired year.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back