Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA-Excel macro help required

Status
Not open for further replies.

netizen

Programmer
Aug 27, 2002
IN
Hi!
I'm working with Excel and I've this problem. I've a few names in one column and next to each name there is a corresponding id. Example

John | 02343
Harry | 39321
Mary | 23422
Alex | 32023
Faith | 92930

I've this data in my first sheet of workbook. So, at some place on another sheet when i select the name John it should display 02343. Similarly when i select Mary it should display 23422 etc. of course, i've created the names in the first sheet as a List and used it by putting them in Data--> validation menu option. So wherever i refer the list (i've given the range containing the names in first sheet as 'TeamList') using 'Data-->validation option it pulls this data form. The only challenge is that when i select the name from list, it should display the corresponding id in the next column to it.

Could you let me know if there is a simple way to do this in Excel? Or do we need to use VBA for Excel and write a macro to achieve this? Please help.

Thanks in advance,
Netizen

1. Read faq222-2244 to check on best practice forum usage - this question should probably be in the Microsoft Office forum.

2. Check the 'Related forums' panel on the right

3. Use Excel help on VLookup

4. faq222-2244 will also give guidance on acknowledging answers and contributing to the forum

'If we're supposed to work in Hex, why have we only got A fingers?'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back