Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VBA Code to Sort Table Records

Status
Not open for further replies.

jt463

IS-IT--Management
Nov 23, 2005
I have gone to great pains to use VBA to create a table - which comes out with exactly the information I need. Now, I want to use VBA to sort the table on two columns that are in the middle of the record.

So, say I have a table (tbl1) with the following columns:

1. Customer
2. Address
3. City
4. State
5. Zip

I want to use VBA to sort the table on Address and then State. I saw there is an option for me to code something like this (where rst is tbl1):

Code:
rst.Sort

But it didn't give me any additional options where I could tell it what fields to sort on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Open your recordset with the following SQL code:
"SELECT * FROM tbl1 ORDER BY Address, State"

Hope This Helps, PH.
Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884 or FAQ181-2886

Are you pulling the table into a recordset? "rst.Sort" is a property of a recordset object. You can do several things

Sort the data with SQL when you populate the recordset
Code:
Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset ( _
          "Select * From tbl1 " & _
          "Order By Address, State" )

Sort the data after populating the recordset
Code:
Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset ("Select * From tbl1")
rst.Sort = "[Address], [State]"
Set rss = rst.OpenRecordset
[COLOR=black cyan]' Recordset rss now contains the sorted table[/color]

Thanks PHV and Golom. Specifically, I used the first suggestion of Golom's which is essentially the same as PHV, and it worked brilliantly!

Thanks for your time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back