Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 to Java or .Net????

Status
Not open for further replies.

koala15

Programmer
May 9, 2001
AU
Earlier today Clipper2000 asked a question regarding investing in learning .Net or staying with VB6.

What is this community's view on using Java rather than .Net as a follow on from VB6? Maybe the answer is "both"?

Especially given that Java is (mostly) platform independent?

I think a lively debate would be of benefit to a lot of people in this business of application development both for standalone apps and also the web (including javascript at the client).

"Life is full of learning, and then there is wisdom"

I develop both applictions at work for business and I also develop shareware as a hobby.

My take is simply this: If you are going to do any serious professional development work then you might should invest in .Net. If you are going to be a hobbiest or develop shareware then I would stay with VB6 as long as you can or perhaps Delphi.

I have nothing against Java other than it is still not matured enough for me.

Noble

---------------------------------------
Noble D. Bell

As Noble stated, it depends on what you are going to do with it. I develop in house applications and put out free ware as a hobbie. I have just started "playing" with java. And I have about 5 years or so experince with vb 6. I can read java (slooowly) and understand it. But for throughing together a quick app nothing beats vb6 for me. I have seen some vb.net and a coworker agrees vb.net, being a framework style programming language, is a lot like java. I have even started to build my vb6 apps on public types (next best thing to an object).

JTMC
Scoty ::)

"Learn from others' mistakes. You could not live long enough to make them all yourself."
-- Hyman George Rickover (1900-86),

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back