Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 on Windows 10 – working from home 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrzejek

Programmer
Jan 10, 2006
US
Finally, got the VB6 installed on Win10 computer (if anybody needs step-by-step instructions, just ask) and all looks OK, except – I can only open existing Projects from my C:\ drive, but not from other drives/servers.

I still have access to my Win7 computer on my desk at work, and all drives are there when I do: File – Open Project...

But on Win10 only C:\ drive is available, I cannot access any other drives, they are not showing in the Open Project dialog box, in ‘Look in’ drop-down list

Additional info – I work from home, so all other drives are not initially connected. I have to VPN to my workplace in order to have access to all company’s servers. Would that be the cause of the problem?

How can I have access to all drives in my VB6 working remotely from home?

---- Andy

"Hmm...they have the internet on computers now"--Homer Simpson

That was it, thanks strongm [thumbsup2]

---- Andy

Would love to get your help to set up vb6 on win 10. I've tried for days but no luck, new partition and virtual box did not like the resolution. thank you in advance. bobca at surewest.net

I was able to successfully install VB6 on Win10 machine and all was good, for a while. Then I found out that some controls were missing, like StatusBar, MaskEditBox, etc. I had to copy the dll’s and ocx’s from other computer and register them. And all was good again, for a while. Then there was a Microsoft Update to Win10 machines (on March 11th, I think) and all went to hell again. Controls went missing again, VB6 gave me a whole bunch of errors.
I’ve got this Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Security Rollup Update

Microsoft said:
This package updates the Microsoft Windows Common Controls, mscomctl.ocx and comctl32.ocx, found in Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6. This package will not install these Common Controls if the Visual Basic 6.0 IDE is not installed. This package cannot be uninstalled. Please refer to the security bulletin for additional details.

The Visual Basic 6.0 IDE is no longer supported as of April 8, 2008, however, the Visual Basic team is committed to “It Just Works” compatibility for Visual Basic 6.0 applications. Please refer to this Support Statement for Visual Basic 6.0:

Looked promising, so I tried that. Did not help.
I will stick with Windows7 machine for a while. Tired to keep fixing Microsoft’s mess on Win10…

---- Andy

Personally I only use VB6 on an XP VM these days.

I may just do the same and ask for a VM with Win7 so I can run my VB6 apps.

Support for Win7 is running out for the company I work for, but I talked about the 'end of life' for VB6 since 2004, so running on borrow time for 17 years should be enough time for Management to make some executive decisions.

---- Andy

Andrzejek,would like your help to get vb6 working on my win 10 laptop. Since I can't put my email in post how can you share your step by step method with me? Anxious to start working on my old projects.

Thank you,

trythis1,
I was using the steps mentioned by SaltyTheFrog in his post from 2 Apr 21 11:38, and that did work OK, until the MS Update. Now VB6 is messed up again on my Win10 computer :-(
I am going to go with strongm's suggestion and have a Virtual Machine with Windows7 for my VB6 applications

---- Andy

Yes, I did. [pc2]

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back