Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 .exe trying to install a different program

Status
Not open for further replies.

wooonelly

IS-IT--Management
Feb 23, 2006
US
I have an .exe program that was created in VB6. When I try to run the .exe, it tries to install ExpertCAD, a drafting program. There should be no reason ExpertCAD needs to run for this program. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this?

The other weird thing is that ExpertCAD is already installed on my system so it does not need to install but that is what is trying to happen. (the reason I didn't post the code is that it is very extensive)

Hmmm, are there any text files associated with the vb program, possibly, where you could search for any instances of ExpertCAD in the text, and remove or comment out those sections? Just an idea.

I would also wonder if it were possible to open the .exe file from within Visual Basic 6, and decompile it, in order to view/edit it's code. In there, you could definitely remove any calls to the other application.

My guess would be that the programmer added the reference to the Cad install program, but did not include any conditional statements to make sure the program did not already exist on the system.

As far as why the programmer included the other programs installation file is beyond me.

Also, you might be better off trying this question over at forum222 : [blue]Visual Basic(Microsoft): Version 5 & 6[/blue].

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back