Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6, CR9 and annoying program crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

northrd

Programmer
May 18, 2003
AU
Damn CR9!

I can run the same report n times but on n+1 my program just crashes with that lovely windows message telling me that I may send the error to Microsoft. There is absolutely NO rhyme nor reason to it: same report, same sql stored procedure, same parameters, same every damn thing!

Therefore
1. Is CR9 buggy?
2. Would CRX/XI be "better"
3. Can I trap the CR error? Yes ... I have extensive error trapping in my VB6 app.

Cheers
Ciaran

Hi,
CR9 was a little buggy and XI is much more stable (IMHO - so much so that I skipped 9 and went from 8.5 to X then XI R2)

The error should show up in the event viewer, have you checked that?

Sometimes the problem is lack of space for the TEMP files CR creates and often fails to delete after they are needed.

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Well there ya go.
RE-did the service pack 7 (well, I though that I had done it before) and voila! No crashes.

For completeness, the error in the log was

"Faulting application maserplus.exe, version 2009.5.0.13, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5512, fault address 0x00012aeb."

Its just great knowing that this is the last of my VB6 apps out there.

Thanks to both of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back