Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB6 activex control?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vachaun22

Programmer
Oct 7, 2003
US
Would anyone happen to know how to make a toolbar that has a title bar and a close button on it? If you are wondering what I am talking about, a perfect example would be if you open up windows explorer, and you have the Folder toolbar open. I am trying to recreate that exactly, with a treeview control on it as well. [neutral]

cucuzz0,
Not exactly a helpful/expert post is it?

Vachaun22,
Do a google search for
[tt] Windows Explorer Style ActiveX [/tt]

I found a few good ones.

Hope this helps.

jgjge3.gif

"Do not put off until tomorrow what you cannot put off until the day after tomorrow just as well." - Mark Twain

Thanks JGeDesign, for being so quick with a response. I checked out your suggestion, and there were some really good examples, but none that are quite like what I am looking for. I forgot that you could make a form into a toolbar by changing it's border style property. But my problem with doing that is, how in the world would I embed that into another form? The fixed/sizeable toolbar is exactly what I am looking for, and all I would have to do is put the treeview control on it. So I guess I am asking is there any way to make a complete form an activex control, or is there anyway to physically embed a form inside another form?

Vachaun,

About embedding a form in a form, see this post
thread222-673519 is not possible (to my knowledge) to make a complete form an activex control and run it as a form, as the control needs to be placed on a form to work, However if you put all the controls you need on an ActiveX control and then, say, placed that control at the top of another form. I don't see why this shouldn't work.

Hope this helps,

jgjge3.gif

[tt]"Do not put off until tomorrow what you cannot put off until the day after tomorrow just as well." - Mark Twain[/tt]

JAG, thanks again for the quick response. I'm not sure if that'll help me at all with what I am trying to do. I did find some code that creates an activex control that mimics a window (i.e. has a "titlebar" and a close button), but it still doesn't seem right. I've found how to make the "window" I'm looking for in VC++ by using a dialog with a tool window extended style that has a title bar and system menu on it. But I just can't seem to figure it out in VB. Again, thanks for your quick responses. [peace]

Vachaun,

Are you trying to recreate exactly the folder view of the explorer or the toolbar? (or both?)

If you have VB6 Pro or above, In the box where you select Standard EXE to start a new project, you should find an icon called "VB Application Wizard", start this up and on the screen (no. 2 i think) where it says
"What type of interface would you like to use for your application?"
Select Explorer-Style....

Maybe this is the one light in the murky sea of OCX?

Hope it helps (This Time!) lol

jgjge3.gif

[tt]"Do not put off until tomorrow what you cannot put off until the day after tomorrow just as well." - Mark Twain[/tt]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back