Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB5 MAK & FORM files do not work at VB6

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReViVo

Technical User
Oct 14, 2002
TR
Hello,

I've got several VB5 projects and when I try to open its FORM files (which is frm1.FRM) it gives the following error: "frm1.FRM is in binary format and cannot be loaded into VB6".
When I try to open one of its Visual Basic Project files (which is MAIN.MAK)
it is recognized as a VisualC++ Makefile not as a VB Project file.
Within the same VB5 files, the compiled .EXE files are provided too. Those files have run successfully after I put the "VBRUN300.DLL" at the system folder and THREED.VBX into the folder where the .EXE is located. So there's no basic compatibility problem

Now, in order to analyze the whole project (especially the FORM files and their VB codes) what should I do?
On the net, I found two freeware programs called "BinToAscii converter" and "BinaryWork VB5 to VB6" but they were unable to make the conversion required. There's a small app at MS's site called "VB5 to VB6 ActiveX converter" but I don't think it will do a complete conversion either.
Do I have to install VB5 on some other machine and open those FORM files on it in order work on them?

Thanks.

If you need VBRun300.DLL and a VBX. then you would seem to have a VB3 project, not VB5. if you still have VB3 open the project and change the properties to NOT save in binary format.I do not remember how. Forms/Controls Resizing/Tabbing Control
Compare Code (Text)
Generate Sort Class in VB or VBScript

Oh, I had anticipated it was VB5, but as you pointed out, they might all have been written in VB3 as well. I will try your suggestion.
Thanks!..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back