Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vb3/Vb6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zejjeu592

Programmer
Jul 27, 2001
US
I have been programming in Vb 3, and am now getting Vb6.
What are some of the differences between the two?

Blimey.
vb6 is 32bit
vb6 uses ocx's not vbx's
vb6 has zillions of 'features' many of which you don't need
it's quite hard to buy vbx's, but they are much cheaper than ocx's
vb6 is much much harder to do a working-in-all-cases setup programme
vb6 has a wonderful hover your mouse over a variable to see its value
vb6 has lots of features that are very useful
both of them are now apparently out of date, or will be soon, with the truly ghastly .net

I'd check out your library actually. Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

I recently bought VB3 after using VB6 for a few years. Here's a few things I've noticed, bearing in mind that you're going up in version.

1) Check out the Private, Public and Global keywords for variables, constants, subs and functions. They've changed a bit in what you can and can't do.
2) VB6 has two neat "new" variable types: Byte (which is great for working with binary data) and Boolean (something is either true or false; you can use the Not keyword to change the variable's value easily).
3) VB6 lets you create your own classes, kind of like smooshing Modules, Functions and Types into one thing.
4) Predefined constants without copying from constants.txt. For example, VB6 knows that vbYes is what you get from clicking the Yes button on a message box.
5) VB6 provides relief from some of VB3's headaches while providing some state-of-the-art reasons to bang your head against a wall.

VB6 has far superior database utilities than VB3 had. With VB3 all you had I believe was the Data control with RDO and DAO. Now you can access databases a lot faster with ActiveX Data Objects. VB6 incorporates what Microsoft calls "Universal Data Access" where you can access information from email systems, spreadsheets, word processors and databases. VB6 is also much more efficient in dealing with enterprise-scale applications. VB3 had a reputation for being slow as a snail. VB6 incorporates much more of object programming with COM (Component Object Model). In a nutshell, the differences are endless.

vb3 is 16 bit, right?
if so, what's different about 32 bit programming and 16 bit from vb3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back