Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB2008: DirectX component not found 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPerk

Programmer
Jul 6, 2002
US
I just downloaded and installed DirectX SDK. That seemed to go well.
But now VB2008 does not recognize "Imports Microsoft.DirectX".

In the Toolbox, I right-clicked on Components and selected "Choose Items", but Microsoft.DirectX does not appear in any of the 3 lists there.

How do I get my program linked up with DirectX?

Look under Project->Add Reference... to see if you need to add a reference to Microsoft.DirectX

I used to rock and roll every night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find 30 minutes a week in which to get funky. - Homer Simpson

Arrrr, mateys! Ye needs ta be preparin' yerselves fer Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Jeb, thanks for the quick reply.

VB2008:
Under Project/Add Reference/.NET I have several entries that start with "Microsoft.DirectX Version 1.0.2902.0".
Under " /COM there is "Microsoft DirectX Transforms Core Type Library

My system:
Doing a search for files with "DirectX" in the file name, I see the following files added ON THE DATE I installed DirectX SDK:

File Folder
DirectX SDK Command Prompt Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008)(C;\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)
Direct X Sample Browser same

DirectX Caps Viewer DirectX Utilities(C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft DirectX SDK (November 2008)
DirectX Control Panel same
DirectX Texture Tool same
DirectX Viewer same
And there are more for 64-bit machines (which I have, Windows Vista).
All of the above are Type "Shortcut".

I also have several DLL files named "Microsoft.DirectX.Direct3DX.dll" in folder C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code.
but the Date-Modified on these files are in year 2005.

I don't really understand how all this works.

If I add "Microsoft.DirectX" to Project/Add Reference/COM, what Path would I use?

After reading a post at which discussed a simular problem, I found the .dll files on my computer at
C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\DirectX for Managed Code\1.0.2902.0

In the IDE, I clicked on Project, Add Reference, Browse, looked in 1.0.2902.0, then clicked on a file and clicked OK for each of the files.
Now my Import statements work.

Thanks again to jebenson for getting me started on the right path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back