Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB vs VFP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlschulte

Programmer
Nov 1, 2001
US
My department is trying to make a strategic decision on which way to go forward with our programming efforts. Currently we have many programs in FoxPro 2.6 that are starting to get buggy as we get new computers.

I was looking for input as to what others have done and the experience. The two top contenders are VFP 7 and VB using Access databases. The majority of the programs query databases that aren't huge, but we do have a few with 600,000+ records.

Any tips or major problems that anyone sees?

Thanks

Jeff

You can write your own applications that access your existing data in the VFP tables with VB.

the importen thing here is not what you use for an interface. what I feel you need to look at are what the future needs may be. A foxpro database mimics the world of MS SQL, Oracle. foxpro has the ability to have referenital intergity, trigers, and stored procedures. upsizing if the need me would be of little effort.

If you use VB for the interface, there are many ways t access the data. ADO being the first that comes to mind. Microsoft is doing its best to move everyone to this.

One thing for sure, get away from the old style free tables. these tables like access are not stable and are easy targets for corruption. Attitude is Everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back