Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB user beggin for help to learn C++

Status
Not open for further replies.

phinoppix

Programmer
Jul 24, 2002
US
Does this forum accept VERY (10x) basic questions?

Ever since I worked with a C++ guy, I really envied the way you guys make through the many databases directly and use classes gracefully.

I only want to learn building and implementing classes, and, later, move on COM topics, if ever i'l make it. I hope I don't have to go through MFC.

Any resources, other than tek-tips, that you can recommend?

Do you think I'm reasonable with my goals? I mean, is it worth it for a VB guy?

TIA [peace]

If you're looking to build classes, you might start by learning VB.NET, which is basically Object-Oriented VB. That way you're learning OOP fundamentals instead of new syntax. I realize it's not what you asked for directly, but it might be a starting point.

Most colleges have a couple of C++ courses in their curriculum; at my school, they were the main 2nd-year CS courses. You might look at something like that because syntax isn't always easy to learn straight from a book.

Whether it's worth it to a VB guy to learn C++? Only you can decide. Personally, I think so; but the learning curve might be too steep for your taste. I suggest getting an introductory-level C++ book (..."For Dummies", despite the name, is a very good resource in my opinion) and spend some time working through examples, etc. to see if it's something you want to continue working on.

Thanks for the reply.

True, VB.Net is OOP by nature now, and is not as difficult as I thought it was. Still, I ought to stick with VS6 for a little longer.

Whether it's worth it to a VB guy to learn C++? Only you can decide. Personally, I think so; but the learning curve might be too steep for your taste.

Still... the ends are profitable, just to be practical :) .

Just an opinion, MS did a great job making VB (.net) a true OOP language; but resulted to longer commands/declarations.
C# is somehow a VB-C++ look-alike, or VB stripped down with command shortcuts. Anyhow, C++ is the star playing the leading role on .NET, and it'll be an advantage to know something about C++.

Open source databases are another thing I'd like to take some consideration. There are numerous and better resources on C++ than on any other (MS) language (to my opinion).

Going to back to school?... not sure. But it's an option at least worth considering.

Do you know any download sites for ebooks on C++ (for dummies, or something like that)? I found several pages of links and trying out each. It'll be helpful if you can point a good one.

Thanks again,
Aries [peace]

Actually its C# thats the star of .Net. The entire .Net Framework was built for C#, and C# for the Framework. C# has syntax similar to both VB and C++ and is the only language that supports the Framework in its entirety.

Sadly though, I am not aware of the ability to compile any code to native, aside from C++. I dislike the MSIL.

Just my two cents.

JasonD

MSIL is Microsoft's Intermediate Language. It's the language that .NET compiles to. Your "executables" are translated at runtime; it's why the entire .NET framework has to be installed on any computer that uses a program written in .NET.

As for online material: one of my favorite resources is different professors' websites. I've always been able to find one that explains just what I need (usually I just look something up when I'm stuck). You might start building a collection of those as reference tools. I don't have any good links right off the top of my head; like I said, usually I just search until I find the solution to my problem, but I don't keep sites listed anywhere. Maybe something I should start...

JasonD's response was right on target, too; C# is the chief language in .NET. If you're planning to migrate to .NET development someday, that might be a better direction to take than VB.NET. C#'s syntax is (in most situations) identical to C++.

I took some reading last night on C# and C++. C# seems to outweigh my requirements compared to C++. Well, I do admit C++ is not baby's-food, can't chew it just like that.

I'll try browsing C# forum for the mean time.

but I don't keep sites listed anywhere. Maybe something I should start...

:) You should. I did, just last month, and very convinient. Use it now while it's there [smile].

Again, thanks bro!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back