Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB Scripted DTS Package

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkb17

Programmer
Nov 27, 2000
US
I have a VB scripted DTS package (SQL 7.0) that I've made into a little mini-app. THe purpose of this app is to upload an Excel file (the user can browse to it) into a SQL Server table.

When I run the program from my machine I have no problems. I have created an installation Package and installed the program on a client's machine. This client does not have the SQL SErver client tools installed (why would they since they are users and not DBA's).

A couple of things that I've noticed. When including the VB references to the dtspkg and dtspump DLL files - they are marked as the .RLL file and not .DLL file. When I tried to browse to the physical file (ie, the .DLL instead) I could not reference those DLL's. I would release the .RLL files and try again but to still no luck.

I had difficulty just copying and regsvr32 the files on to the client's machine.

I don't know if anyone has tried this before and I wanted to see if anyone had a feedback or tips.

Thanks in advance.

jim

Maybe the installing of SQL Server(Client) will solve problem. John Fill

Thanks for your response, John.

I was hoping to NOT install the SQL Server client on the user's machine. You see this person is a user and not a DBA. I much rather not give them that program.

I had exactly same prob. Spent 3 months writing elaborate VB DTS Custom Task under SQL Server 7.0 only to find it wouldn't run when deployed on user's machine. Experimented with a 'virgin' machine under MSDE (no go) and then SQL Server Desktop Engine (SQL Server with no Client Tools) ok. Now left with the decision whether or not to upgrade all client MSDE 1.0 machines to SQL Server Desktop Engine (Doh!)

LotusEater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back