Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.NET Vs. Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasperjasper

Programmer
Mar 23, 2004
US
I have been working with VB.NET for the past few months trying to learn it. I am wondering what you all think about it as it compares to developing in Access.
I find that Access is way more flexible to use. I think VB.NET has gotten more difficult to use than easier .....
I would love to hear what you developers think.

By "Access", you are referring to VBA (Visual Basic for Applications) as featured in forum705 (as opposed to Visual Basic .NET in forum796), right?

VB.NET is a standalone language you can use to program anything you want, even access and manipulate Access Databases.

VBA is always embedded in an application: Word, Excel, Access, etc. VBA is not as powerful or versatile as VB.NET.

Yes it's true access is faster when you want to develop something easy but it has limits at one point the lower development time will not eliminate the slowness of the interface. Nor will it ever really be multi-user. And it is really slow when you start to work with graphs and images.

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

If you want to get an answer read this FAQ faq796-2540
There's no such thing as a winnable war - Sting

Access is a great program for "prototyping" a solution, but you have licencing issues with deployment.

Access is also limited to an environment that doesn't have large amounts of data or large numbers of users..

DotNet takes longer to build a soultion (in some cases - whidby rocks!! when dealing with data forms spring to life with HUGE functionality with a single click!.)

But you can do stuff that access can only dream off.
I have several apps that take a graphic, resize it, add transparent layers and redraw the image back to the screen so fast the screen doesn't blink. You can access and store data from almost any to almost any datasource (with little to no effort once you understand the basics and practice alot)

Supports "Single Click" Deployments and "Auto Updates" to program code out of the box.

The only limitation to what you can achieve with dot net is that at the moment it requires a windows platform to run. But security is excellent and development time is being reduced greatly with every release.

Sick to learning to use .net you will not be sorry.
For the longest time I called it DOT NOT - but not anymore. I just had to force myself to change (kind of like the metric system, if you learn to use it you will never go back)

For some really great training videos (free for the viewing)

and

For what it is worth..

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back