Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.net training

Status
Not open for further replies.

tractorvix

Technical User
Jun 29, 2004
GB
Hi All,

not sure this is the most appropriate forum, but thought I'd give it a go!

The only exposure to VB has been through access and excel (VBA?).

I would like to be able to do more with these applications and have been given the opportunity to attend a training course. Can I use VBNet to write code in Access, or do I need to try and find an advance VBA course?

Thanks

Vix

VBA, VB6, VBScript, VB.NET .. These are similar languages not same.

> VBA-Visual Basic for Applications is used in Office (Alt-F11 to launch the editor).
> VB6-Visual Basic version 6. You can program windows applications, addins, dlls, web .. etc.
> VB.NET came right after vb6 (event driven language). .NET is now Object Oriented language (not vb7!). The versions are: {2002-.NET 1.0}, {2003-.NET 1.1} and the last (released a few months ago) {2005-.NET 2.0}.
> VBScript(.vbs) like JavaScript (.js) can be used for example to display a single messagebox to ...tell you the time. Also as a script in web pages.

Hope these help

Your choice will depend on your long term goals. vba constrains you to working in office only. What type of "stuff" are you wanting to do? If you dont think you will be working with anything other acess databases, vba will be fine. vba is quite powerfull in its own context.

If your database grows beyond the capibilities of access you will need a lot more computing horsepower offered by vb.net. The problem is that a class in vb.net will not be very focused on the issues you will run into with access (wont be the instructors priority).

The good news is, the two languages have very similar syntax so when you get a good handle on vba, your move to a full blown language is a little less painful.

if it is to be it's up to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back