Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.Net Speed Vs VB6 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jopholck

Programmer
Oct 23, 2006
DK
Hej
I have just upgraded my VB6 program to VB.net usind the upgrade wisart in .net, there was lost of graphics in my VB6 program.
Now after upgade the program runs aprox 10 times slower ! why ?

The upgrade uses lots of VB6 conversions in the new .net program is that the reson, must use lots of computer time !

best regards
John

Some things are faster, some are slower. .Net is a managed code language, which will make it slower by default. But many of the tools in place have been optimized to run significantly faster.

The System.IO namespace for instance. It has entirely replaced the old File System Object. FSO was a great tool, but was increadibly slow. tediously slow even. System.IO's members are lightning fast by comparison.

.Net also uses GDI+ instead of GDI. Anytime you work with GDI in graphics the smallest mistake can cause huge performance hits. But if you have a graphics intensive app, you are using GDI, and are having performance problems, that could be a culprit.

.Net has a great little tool call Environment.TickCount it will grab the current clock ID and is exceptionally helpful for tracking processor intensive methods with out hindering performance.

-Rick

VB.Net Forum forum796 forum855 ASP.NET Forum
[monkey]I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back