Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.net console application...

Status
Not open for further replies.

henpat123

Programmer
Apr 14, 2005
US
Hi,
I am new to VB.net . I just wanted to know why do we have a Console application? Where in real time is it used for?

Can someone give a real-time application of console application.

Henry

Console Applications are command-line oriented applications that allow us to read characters from the console, write characters to the console and are executed in the DOS version. Console Applications are written in code and are supported by the System.Console namespace.

The main reason I use a console application is as a Loader for my main application. It checks for latest versions of the .Net DLL's on the Server and if found downloads them to the client, thus making sure the client version is up to date.

Sweep
...if it works dont f*** with it
...if its f****ed blame someone else
...if its your fault that its f***ed, say and admit nothing.

Microsoft (and others) gives a lot of examples in "Console Application" format simply because they are simple to read. They are not clustered with unnecessary TextBoxes, Comboboxes, Labels and such.

In VC++, I used console applications to develop full-screen graphics animations using openGL. I assume you could do the same in VB if you have the corresponding library available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back