Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.Net and web queries

Status
Not open for further replies.

etoucan

IS-IT--Management
Aug 23, 2004
GB
Does anyone know if it is possible to perform web queries from a VB.Net application and, if so, how?

OK, that's more than I knew 10 minutes ago but where to start? I'm looking for functionality similar to Excel's where I could connect to a URL from within my app and grab data for use in the app.

/holds hand

enter: webclient "vb.net" sample

one of the links on the first page will send you to:
/releases hand

Note to EVERYONE. Google is your friend (Also, MSN, Yahoo, Northernlights, Altavista, what ever). So are the words "vb.net" and "sample". Try it!

System.IO "vb.net" sample
"ADO.Net" "vb.net" sample
DirectX "vb.net" sample
COM "vb.net" sample
Database "vb.net" sample
Access "vb.net" sample
SQL Server "vb.net" sample
you get the idea!

-Rick

----------------------

[monkey] I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Thanks, ThatRickGuy, that link looks useful, and it's nice of you to lead me so gently in the right direction.

So, the general principle is to connect to the URL, stream the data, parse it, use it?

Thanks, ThatRickGuy, that link looks useful, and it's nice of you to lead me so gently in the right direction.

Yeah, sorry, I just think more people should try to work for their information. For the record, the vast majority of replies I make here, I had no clue about until reading the post. So I google the problem, throw together some code in a test project if needed, and find out how it works.

So, the general principle is to connect to the URL, stream the data, parse it, use it?

Correct. I haven't writen anything in .Net that pulls from the web (successfully at least). But that was the method I used in VB6.

-Rick

----------------------

[monkey] I believe in killer coding ninja monkeys.[monkey]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back