Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.NET and ASP.NET

Status
Not open for further replies.

digatle

Technical User
Oct 31, 2003
US
I just noticed something. What's the difference between VB.NET and ASP.NET??

Digatle

ones a language (VB.NET) and the other is not (ASP.NET)

Check out Tek-Tips knowledge bank by clicking the FAQ link at the top of the page
[/sub]

So if I'm developing an Intranet would I be doing VB.NET or ASP.NET?

Digatle

you could be doing it with VB.NET coding ASP.NET pages if resources permitted the usage.

if you're writing windows applications then simply VB.NET. if you're writing web interfaced pages then you can utilize VB.NET to write ASP.NET pages. or C# and a bunhc of other langauges that ASP.NET supports

Check out Tek-Tips knowledge bank by clicking the FAQ link at the top of the page
[/sub]

I would start off tehre
and here

with your research to better understand things

[/sub]

Now I'm confused.

The CTO of the company has asked that we convert our intranet to .NET. We have an application that we have currently that is being programmed in VB and he wants converted to .NET. But we (the web intranet) currently programs it in PHP with no problems. But his goal is to have a "cross platform" uniform solution so both sides are using .NET. Where's I'm confused at is am I going to have to learn VB.NET, ASP.NET or BOTH?? I do not program in object oriented gui level code. I write simple things like read/write to a database and display HTML.

Digatle

Now for the sake of arguement:

This link has an overview of what .NET can do. For our intranet applications it seems like there's a lot more overhead. We're talking about applications that look at a database for adding, editing, deleting news and other various forms of data. Is this whole .NET really necessary?

Digatle

to answer this question
am I going to have to learn VB.NET, ASP.NET or BOTH??

yes, either VB.NET to code your ASP.NET pages or you can use any .NET supported language
VB.NET, C#, JScript.NET, and VBScript.NET etc..
not sure if thats all of them

if all you're pages are coded in php then maybe a java solution is better and you can bring that to the table for them to consider. if not...good luck on the conversion. I would look into VB.NET applications and the communication concerns to php interpruted pages first before converting everything over and going through a major learning test

[/sub]

for windows applications, yes. for ASP.NET pages or pages that run through a server (IIS6 etc) no.

thats why I thought that link would be benificial. you may want to bring taht as well due to the resource needs for the conversions

[/sub]

Silly question but would there be by chance a PHP.NET?

Digatle

xDigatle.png

not that I'm awhere of. there is a J++.NET which may be a slightly easier syntax to go to from a PHP stand point. never worked in the new version of J++ though.

[/sub]

my personal recomendation would be to go the C# direction. Especially if you have larger teams where one guys writes the data access layer (you had said you code read/write code to the database). This way (if you use commenting properly) The guys coding the business tiers will be able to use Intellisense to decide which function they want to use.

What happens is that you comment a description of the fucntion your making, then people using that function later on can read that description.

That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark
If you are unsure of forum etiquette check here faq796-2540

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back