Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB.Net 2010 - Interface - Dealing with too many grids on one form 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amesville

Programmer
Oct 10, 2011
US
Hi Folks

Just inherited a project as the new guy here at work. I have a form done at a very wide screen size resopution (1924 x 893) and some clients that don't have HD-quality monitors are complaining they can't see the whole screen. I've been asked to come up with a solution to the problem. There are three grids about 600 px wide on the form and when viewed at a lower resolution the third (rightmost) form is mostly cut off and can't be viewed. Trying to narrow the three grids to 450 px or so wide will not be acceptable, so my options are limited.

I am thinking about trying to make the display 2 grids wide and having large buttons to either side that would allow the user to 'scroll' right and left to view the unseen grid. I'm looking for ideas on how to do that, or suggestions on alternative I might be able to try. Anoyone have a good idea?

Craig

Might not be the most "graceful" solution, but have you tried putting all three grids in a Panel container? The Panel container allows for scrolling (both horizontal and vertical). So if you put a Panel on your form where the grids are now and then move the grids into the Panel in the same manner they currently are and ensure that the AutoScroll property is set to true, you should get scroll bars when needed. This should not require any code changes and allows for scrolling when needed.... You can also add some code to hide the vertical scrollbar if not needed (Panel1.VerticalScroll.Enabled = false and Panel1.VerticalScroll.Visible = false)

=======================================
People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world. (Calvin from Calvin And Hobbs)

Robert L. Johnson III
CCNA, CCDA, MCSA, CNA, Net+, A+, CHDP
C#.NET Programmer

I assume you have to show all 3 grids at the same time on the same Form, right?
If so, you can place all 3 Grids in a Panel. It will give you (build-in) ability to scroll right and left (up and down) to show the whole content of a panel.
If not, you can give them some (3) radio buttons to choose which Grid they want to see.
In this scenario I would just give them one Grid and re-populate it with the info they need.

Have fun.

---- Andy

Thanks Gentlemen, that sounds like it might work. I will look into it right away. Andy, yes ideally they want all three to be seen at the same time, but I think they understand that at smaller resolution they may have to put up with being able to see only two at a time. I sure hope they understand, anyway. Thanks for the advice.

Played around with it some, I think I can make this work. At least I have an idea now to present, worst that can happen is they say no...

Thanks

Craig

Give your best shot at it and present it to the user.
if they don't like it, ask them how they would like to have it.

Mind you, sometimes users want to have “50 columns grid with 250 rows of data presented all visible on the form and make it print on one 8.5 x 11 page so I can read it with the Font size of 16 or larger” Good luck :)

Have fun.

---- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back