Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB library References

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce007

Programmer
Mar 13, 2002
US
As I don't have MSDN library CD, I am at ends trying to figure out what libraries to includes during my development using VB 6.0. Most of time it is hit and mostly miss. Does anyone know where I can get a list of what each library contains?

Thanks! That was a good reference. When running Visual Basic Studio and you click on 'Project' and 'Reference' you get a long list of libraries that can be included. I am looking for very basic information. For example, I have a very simple program and I was to open another form. The normal method is form-name.Show. When I try this in my program it indicates that there is no such item as Show. There seems to be a lot of libraries with the same name. Some of libraries are easy to determine. If I want to do something with Access then I include references to the Access libraries, others are not.

Sorry Bruce007...I can't help you there. There are a lot of apps that place libraries and controls into the system and to get definative descriptions of some of them is very difficult. Ya might try looking here:

I know for sure though that the references that must at least be selected are:

for Standard exe project:
=========================

- Visual Basic For Applications
- Visual Basic runtime objects and procedures
- Visual Basic objects and procedures
- OLE Automation

for a Data Project:
===================

- Visual Basic For Applications
- Visual Basic runtime objects and procedures
- Visual Basic objects and procedures
- OLE Automation
- Microsoft ActiveX Data Objects 2.0 Library
- Microsoft Data Binding Collection
- Microsoft Data Report Designer v6.0
- Microsoft Data Formatting Object Library
- Microsoft Data Environment Instance 1.0
- Microsoft Data Source Interfaces

No mater what your doing, the first 3 references should always be selected. If they are, then I'ld say your form.show problem lies in the fact that perhaps the form name you're supplying to show is not correct. Make sure the name supplied to show is in fact the name entered in the "Name" property for the form you want to show (not the form's saved name).

===========================
Life is like a box of BASIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back