Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB Compile Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoxFool

Programmer
Apr 15, 2004
US
Hi all,
I don't know anything really about VB, but I am trying to use some programs written by someone else and they are not working correctly. Specifically, it seems like the exe files will only work on the OS that it was created on. I have a Win2k computer that will run an exe, but once transferred to an XP machine, it errors out. Is there an easy fix to this? Maybe recompiling the program on XP? Thanks in advance for any help!

Specifically, what errors are you getting on the other workstations? An exe is not generally OS specific (within windows, of course). There are pieces of code that may/may not work from one OS to the other, hence the request for the exact error that you're getting.

Did you just copy over the .exe file? Because VB programs have some runtime files which must be installed in the Windows\System directory. You might want to look around and see if there's a Setup program you can run.

Chip H.

I get a Run-Time error '430'
"Class does not support Automation or does not support expected interface"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back