Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB COM+ CreateObject takes 37 seconds ?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnie100

Programmer
Dec 8, 2000
GB
We are having a problem with a COM+ component(written in VB) whereby when you log on to a client, the first instantiation of the object on the COM+ server is taking 37 seconds. If the application is closed and reloaded, all subsequent CreateObject calls only take 2 seconds. What is happening here - is there some overhead because the first call creates the objectContext? No special processing i.e opening DB connections, is being performed during object initailsiation. If the workstation is logged off and logged onto again, the same situation occurs.

This is happening on several different servers we are using. The servers are Windows 2000 and the server application properties have been correctly configured. The option to leave running when idle, security has been reduced from Packet to Call, JIT is set and methods deactivate an object after each call.

Having read various newsgroups, I have even made calls using the IP address rather than the server name to ensure it is not a network name resolving issue. Pinging the server is returning results in <10ms and the network is 10/100 Mbps.

Has anyone seen this happening before and do they know what could be causing this? A colleague has suggested it may be due to VB COM+ components not allowing thread pools, and so and object instance must be created each time, but I would still expect it to be faster than 37 seconds.

Could it be a security issue?

Any help and information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Out of curiosity, have you managed to solve this problem at this time?

For what it's worth, we re-applied service pack 4 to the server (W2K) and that fixed the huge delays we were experiencing when creating a COM+ object. Hope this helps someone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back