Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB and VB.Net

Status
Not open for further replies.

BiggerBrother

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
GB
Can you install both of these applications on the same machine? At the moment I am looking to change the programming of our software to vb.net, but ALL of our current projects are VB. Does this mean that I have to have 2 separate machines?

Many thanks

BB

yeah..

I have VB6, VB.NET 2003 & VB.NET 2005 express beta installed on my PC...

I suggest you wait for the full version of 2005 to come out...
IMHO 2003 sucks...
They made many enhancements in 2005 which won me over...
where 2003 made me shy away, and stick to vb6...

Just my opinion... The full version should be out in about 3 months... It is DEFINATELY worth the wait...

*Note: you can download a free version of 2005 express beta from here, and give it a try...

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh

cubee101.gif

PROGRAMMER: (n) Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

Everything is different between both, for example, foget about declaring Global in a module.
Personally I dont like it, i'm used to make everything by code and some things cant.
Cya

vb6 makes Platform targeted EXE's (Machine Code)

VB.Net makes Platform independent EXE's (Intermediate Language or IL Code) which require a JIT compiler (.NET Framework) to run, similar to Java and the Java Virtual Machine...

Pros:
* 1 compile, multi platform (theoretically)
* all .Net lanuages can access the features .Net provides
* some enhancements made to the core language to allow things that were previously not available in VB...
* New IDE (once you are used to it) allows for faster development (especially in 2005 ;-))
* Microsoft provides Free Training Videos ;-)

Cons:
* Changes to syntax may be frustrating for some to adapt to (especially those lacking experience in C++ or Java style languages)
* Requires the .Net framework, users must install the framework for your program to execute.
* Not all projects convert to .Net easily with the wizard (some require complete rewrites)

*Note: VB.Net IS NOT the next version of Visual Basic... It is the Next Generation of the Basic Language wrapped up in a Visual IDE, the Way VB was/is...

However, the Visual Basic series Ends with 6.0 there won't be a 7.0, which isn't so bad, VB6 works for what it is made for...

My advice, whether you plan to use it or not, I suggest you download the beta, while you can, and take a little time to learn it, and the differences from VB6, so It will be easier to migrate to if you choose to at a later date...

Hope This helps ;-)

Good Luck :)

Have Fun, Be Young... Code BASIC
-Josh

cubee101.gif

PROGRAMMER: (n) Red-eyed, mumbling mammal capable of conversing with inanimate objects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back