Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB 5 Compiler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamba

IS-IT--Management
Aug 3, 2001
GB
Hey there all!

I own both VB6 and VB.Net, but have a VB 5 project in which i need to modify the SQL table name that it writes to as this was, god knows why, hard coded into the form.

I can happily change the code in the project using a text editor if needed but need to re-compile it into an EXE file.

Can i use VB6/.Net/Third Party app to compile the VB5 Program again using the relevant Dll's? all my previous attempts in VB6, using the Package and deploy wizard, change it over to use the VB6 Runtime files which will not run on the machine the program is being used on.

Many Thanks in Advance!!

[pc3]
Adam [glasses]

There is a VB5 Compiler that might still be available for download from various places (including MS). It is called VB5CCE. I can't give you a site as the location keeps on moving. Just google for it and you might find it and it might compile your code.

VB5CCE is rather restrictive, actually. In particular you can only use it to build ActiveX controls, not standalone apps.

I seem to remember that the transition from VB5 to VB6 was uneventful on the installation front but I never used the P&D Wizard.

I'm not sure if I will have any solutions but questions that come to mind include.
What specific problems are you getting when trying to install a VB6 vs a VB5 compiled version? What support/ dependent files are you (trying) to install? What version of Windows are you trying to install on? What version of Windows are you creating the install on?

Many thanks for the responses!

I shall investigate VB5CCE but if i do need to create an EXE.

The machine I am replacing the file on is embedded WinXP on a Siemens panel PC.
The problem I have is that the system has been set-up completely for VB5 and uses the relevant runtime files. I could install the VB6 files but worry about any the HMI conflicting with drivers, etc. I seem to remember that the runtime file names are the same for both 5 & 6 with changes to how they are interpreted.

[pc3]
Adam [glasses]

> the runtime file names are the same for both 5 & 6

Crucially the main runtime's name changed from MSVBVM50.DLL to MSVBVM60.DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back