Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VB 4.0 Setup Problem - OLEAUT32.DLL

Status
Not open for further replies.

ag

Programmer
Nov 5, 1998
GB
Hi,<br>
<br>
Has anyone come across the following problem:<br>
<br>
I am installing a VB4.0 app onto a Win95 OSR2 machine with the latest version of OLEAUT32.DLL (i.e. MS OLE Update applied). The master development machine (VB4) contains the OLE versions as at the time of the VB 4.0 CD (i.e. earlier). <br>
<br>
When the setup.exe is run, all runs fine until OLEAUT32.DLL is to be copied. I understood (and the log files seem to confirm) that only newer files are copied from installation disks. However, the error message 'Access violation' is displayed on OLEAUT32.DLL and setup is aborted. <br>
<br>
If you ignore the error, the OCX's then fail to regoster.<br>
<br>
Any ideas?<br>
<br>
TIA<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>

This problem usually occurs when a file is in use by another application. In your case you don't want to update it any way because the OLEAUT32.dll is older than the target system. If OLEAUT32 is on the target it already registered so don't worry about it. When you press ignore(I'm assuming the install program asks/Allows this)the install program should proceed as normal ( I've run across this several times and it processes normal in VB5 and 6). If the files don't register properly, you can always use REGSVR32.exe to register them. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply.<br>
<br>
I've tried the route of ignoring the error and manually registering the OCX, and initially this failed. When I finally got it to work (using Regdrop a great utility from Addision software (I'm not connected with them BTW)) the application reported an 'Error loading from file' message (which MSKB indicates as being an OCX registration problem) at the point the OCX is loaded.<br>
<br>
Andrew<br>
<br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back